The flat iron steak is a cheap alternative compared to other steaks. Although you pay less for it, it is certainly not inferior in taste. In fact, the meaty taste of this steak makes many like it even better than a more expensive steak, such as a tenderloin. Judge for yourself.
Technically, it’s sufficient to cook the flat iron steak with salt and pepper. In this dish we’re choosing an Asian marinade though. This marinade complements the meaty taste of the steak nicely.
Tip: the grilled flat iron steak Bali from the barbecue is also delicious.
Flat Iron Steak in an Asian marinade
- 70 ml soy sauce
- 70 ml sherry
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cm ginger
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 kg flat iron steak
- Put all of the ingredients in a bowl and then stir them all together.
- the marinade in a freezer bag along with the flat iron steak and let it marinate in the fridge for 3 to 6 hours.
- Prepare the barbecue for direct grilling. Maintain a working temperature of 250 – 300 °C.
- Place the flat iron steak on the grid and grill it on both sides for a few minutes until it’s browned.
- Move the meat to a less hot part (about 125 °C) of the barbecue. Cook the meat slowly until it reaches a temperature of 48 – 50 °C.
- Remove the meat from the barbecue and let it rest for 5 minutes, while it is loosely covered with aluminum foil.
- Meanwhile, you can fry the sesame seeds in a frying pan until they turn brown.
- Cut the meat into even thin slices. Cut against the grain of the meat with a sharp knife. Sprinkle the meat with the sesame seeds.