If you like spicy food, this recipe is definitely something you will love. The marinade with Moroccan spices and the harissa sauce both contain spicy ingredients, but provide a delicious explosion of taste. We serve the harissa with the chicken for dipping.
We have prepared this entire dish indirectly on the barbecue. If you want to grill it indirectly, you have to remove the backbone of the chicken to unfold it.
Moroccan chicken with harissa sauce
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 sweet onion
- 2 tbsp black pepper freshly grounded
- 2 tbsp paprika powder sweet
- 1 tbsp cumin grounded
- 1 tbsp coriander grounded
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice of half a lemon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
For the harissa sauce
- 1/4 cup paprika spicy
- 3 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp coriander grounded
- 1/2 tsp cumin grounded
- 1 tomato skinned & seeds removed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/3 boiling water
- Place the onion, paprika, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper in a food processor. Grind everything to a smooth puree.
- Squeeze half a lemon on top of the mixture. Add the olive oil to let it thicken slightly, and mix it all together.
- Cover the chicken with the marinade. Rub the chicken well and make sure that the marinade is evenly distributed. Place it in an oven dish, covered with aluminium foil, in the fridge and let it marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect grilling. Maintain a temperature of 125 ℃. Place a drip pan under the chicken to collect the fat.
- Place the chicken on the grid and let it cook for 1 to 1.5 hours or until it has reached a core temperature of 75 ℃.
- Serve the chicken with the harissa sauce on the side.
Prepare your own harissa sauce
- Mix the paprika powder and the chilli flakes in a bowl. Add boiling water and let rest for 5 minutes to create a thick paste.
- Place the content of the bowl in a food processor. Add the coriander, cumin, sea salt, tomato and garlic. Grind everything to a smooth puree.
- Put the puree in a bowl and add the olive oil. Add 3 tablespoons of water if necessary to create a thick and liquid sauce.