What once started as a café in 1977 has now grown into an empire with restaurants all over the Netherlands. “Loetje” is now known to the general public and for good reason.
The steak floating in gravy makes many hearts beat faster. A personal favorite is the Bali variant that is nice and spicy.
Would you like to make Loetje’s steak yourself? We totally understand that. Check out the recipe below and try it for yourself.
We ourselves add sambal to the steak and therefore go for the Bali variant. If this is too spicy for you, just leave it out.
Beef steak Bali
- 2 round steaks or tenderloin steaks
- 250 gr margarine
- 2 tsp sambal bajak
- Remove the round steak from the refrigerator half an hour in advance.
- Sprinkle both sides of the meat with salt and pepper.
- Heat the margarine in the pan until it stops bubbling.
- Place the round steak in the pan. Keep the pan on high heat.
- Fry the steak on both sides for about 3 minutes. Make sure that it is golden brown.
- Remove the steak from the pan and cover it with aluminum foil.
- Add two tablespoons of warm water to the remaining margarine in the pan. Meanwhile, keep stirring the sauce with the spatula.
- Add two teaspoons of sambal bajak to the margarine in the pan. Stir everything together and remove the pan from the heat.
- Take a deep plate and place the steak on it.
- Pour some of the sauce from the pan over the steak.