It has been known for a while that duck breast and orange combine very well. For example, canard a l’orange has been a well-known recipe for many years. We provided an oriental touch to the traditional recipe and covered the duck breast with a glossy oriental orange glaze.
From the grill
We prepared this duck breast on the barbecue. First we grilled it directly on the fire for a few minutes. Then we rub the duck breast with orange glaze. Finally, we indirectly cook it to a core temperature of max 65 ℃.
Grilled Duck Breast with Orange Glaze
- 2 duck breasts
- 1 dl soy sauce
- 1 dl orange juice freshly squeezed
- 80 ml honey
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 5 strips orange peel
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 spring onions
- 3 slices peeled ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
For the orange glaze
- Cut the ginger into thin slices. Bruise the slices by pressing them with the blade of a knife.
- Cut off the white part of the spring onion. You can use the green for garnishing.
- Cut 5 thin strips of orange peel.
- Crush the garlic with the blade of a knife.
- Heat a saucepan on the stove and add all the ingredients. Let the glaze thicken on low to medium heat. This takes about 15-20 minutes. Keep stirring occasionally. The icing is ready when it has thickened a bit and becomes a bit of a syrup when it cools off.
Duck breast on the barbecue
- Remove the duck breast from its package and pat it dry with kitchen paper.
- Score the fat side of the duck breast in a diamond pattern. Try to avoid cutting into the meat.
- Prepare the barbecue for direct grilling and maintain a temperature of approximately 250 ℃.
- Grill the duck breast for 2 minutes on both sides. Turn the meat a quarter turn after 1 minute to get a nice grill pattern.
- Remove the duck breast from the barbecue. Rub the orange glaze on the meat with a brush.
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect grilling and maintain a working temperature of approximately 120 ℃. Cook the duck breast to a core temperature of no more than 65 ℃.
- Remove the duck breast from the barbecue and let it rest under aluminum foil for 5 minutes.
- Slice the duck breast and add salt, pepper or some remaining glaze to taste. Sprinkle the duck with the green part (cut into rings) of the spring onion.