Although we love barbecues, a good piece of steak does not always have to be cooked on the barbecue. If you’re looking for a nice starter or if you want to surprise someone with a delicious dish without having to leave the house, try this steak tartare.
Steak tartare is nothing more than just finely chopped raw beef, with some extra ingredients for flavor. A very important factor for steak tartare is the quality, freshness and type of beef. Steak tartare cannot be made from every piece of beef.
When grilling steak, it’s important to have a cut of meat with some fat, as this releases flavor when heated. For cold dishes, such as steak tartare, you should use meat with as little fat as possible. Fat does not taste very well when it’s cold and has a strange feeling in your mouth.
So what you have to pay attention to is that you use lean steak without skin (silverskin), which is of good quality and already has a tender structure and taste. We love bavette and think this is the best choice for a steak tartare. And we think that flank steak is the best choice for steak tartare.
The recipe below guarantees you a steak tartare that will impress your guests. When preparing dishes with raw meat, you must ensure that products are properly cooled.
How to make steak tartare
- 500 gr bavette
- 3 shallots
- 2 small pickles
- 1 tbsp capers
- 15 g parsley finely chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tbsp Tabasco
- 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- Finely chop the shallots, pickles, capers and parsley. Separate the yolks from the eggs. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Rinse the flank steak and start cutting it in half. First cut the meat into strips and then into cubes.
- Finely chop the steak. Make sure you don’t chop it too finely, because you still want a nice meat structure.
- Add the meat to the mixture in the bowl and mix everything together. Then add some salt and pepper. Let it cool in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Make a nice steak tartare with a round mold. Garnish with some capers and onion and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with some toast or another crunch.