The sirloin tip roast comes from the hind quarter of the beef. It actually consists of several parts, including: the solid part, the lid and the ball joint.
It is a fairly lean piece of meat that contains little fat and is very tender.
Although this piece of meat lends itself perfect for quick preparation at high temperatures, we give it a different twist. An Asian twist.
We first rub the meat with an oriental dry rub. Therefore we put a little bit of sesame oil on the meat. For the taste, of course, but this also makes the rub stick well.
We then let the meat cook indirectly on the barbecue to a core temperature of 50 °C.
While the meat is resting, we prepare the sambal relish. You are able to use different types of sambal for this. We like badjak for this dish.
Finally, carve the meat and pour the relish on top of the slices.
Sirloin tip roast with oriental herbs and a sambal relish
- 600 gr sirloin tip roast
- sesame oil
Oriental dry rub
- 5 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 tbsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 30 grams butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp sambal badjak
- 1 tsp turmeric grounded
- 1 tsp ginger grounded
- 1 tsp ketoembar grounded
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect grilling. Maintain a temperature of about 130 °C.
- Put all ingredients for the oriental dry rub in a bowl and mix well.
- Pat the sirloin tip roast dry with kitchen paper. Put a small dash of sesame oil on the meat and rub it well. Then rub all sides of the meat thoroughly with the dry rub.
- Place the meat on the grill. The meat is ready at a core temperature of 50 °C.
- Remove the meat from the barbecue and let it rest while covered loosely with aluminium foil for 7 minutes. This allows the meat juices to distribute throughout the meat.
- Meanwhile, place a frying pan on high heat and let the butter melt. Turn the heat to medium heat and fry the garlic. Then add the sambal, turmeric, ginger and ketoembar. Keep the pan briefly on low fire. In the meantime, stir well.
- Cut the meat into small slices and sprinkle the sambal relish on top of the slices.