Rendang Padang is an authentic Indonesian dish. It is named after the city of Sumatra, Padang.
Although there are numerous variants, it is characterized by the many peppers present. The cabe rawits make it extra spicy. If you don’t like it too spicy, you can choose to put a little less rawits in it.
In addition to the peppers, there are many other ingredients. Don’t be alarmed by this. In the end, the recipe only consists of a few steps. Nevertheless, you cannot avoid paying a visit to the toko beforehand. But that’s not a punishment, is it?
It is best to use a cast iron wok for this, since you will caramelize the meat at the end. If you don’t have this, use a cast iron frying pan.
Caramelization occurs at the end of the process when the moisture has evaporated and oil remains. At that time, the meat is fried in this oil over low heat. For this, it is important that you use some greasy coconut cream, because it is necessary for baking. The meat will turn dark brown and the sauce will stick to it.
Rendang padang from the barbecue
- 1 kg chuck steak
- 1 liter coconut cream 24% fat
- 1/2 tbsp tamarind paste
- 4 salam leaves
- 8 stems sereh
- 16 lime leaves
- 1 tbsp salt
For the bumbu
- 1 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 5 candlenuts
- 40 gr ginger peeled
- 50 gr galangal root peeled
- 10 gr turmeric peeled
- 5 cabe rawits seeds removed and finely chopped
- 6 shallots
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- Toast the coriander seeds and candlenuts in a frying pan. Then grind it finely in a mortar.
- Then put it in a food processor with all the other ingredients for the bumbu and grind them to a paste. Optionally, you can add two tablespoons of coconut oil.
On the barbecue
- Although we are going to cook the rendang at a low temperature, we do have to fry the bumbu on high heat. Therefore, prepare the barbecue for 200 – 200 °C.
- Pat the meat dry with kitchen paper and cut into 5 cm cubes.
- Place a wok or frying pan on the barbecue. Heat the pan. Put a dash of oil in the pan and fry the bumbu for a minute. Then add the coconut cream and fry it for another minute.
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect grilling. Maintain a temperature of 120 °C.
- Then add the meat, tamarind paste, sereh, salam and lime leaves. Stew it all for 4 hours. The thought behind this step is that the moisture evaporates and that the fat floats to the top.
- When the fat floats to the top, caramelization begins. Then you can bake the meat for another 30 minutes, while occasionally stirring it. Do this on low heat as well.