Ibérico rib fingers can be eaten as a pre-snack/ appetizer, snack at parties or simply as a main course. If there’s one thing we’re crazy about, it’s low and slow pork from the barbecue.
Ibérico rib fingers are basically the meat that is between the bones of spare ribs. Which is an advantage for people who do not like to chew on bones. Because the meat is separated from the bone, it takes less time to be cooked and it is super tender.
These rib fingers come from the Ibérico pig. This is a pig breed from Spain that develops a super beautiful marbling and a delicious, distinct taste due to the animal’s special diet of acorns.
We made the rib fingers low and slow on the smoker. You can, of course, also make this dish on a normal barbecue or kamado. Because Ibérico has a lot of flavor on its own, you don’t need much added flavors. We used our basic BBQ rub for this dish.
Ibérico Rib Fingers from the BBQ
- 1200 grams of Ibérico Rib Fingers
- olive oil
- wood chips
For the basic BBQ rub
- 50 grams brown sugar
- 25 grams paprika powder
- 3 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp coarse salt
- 1 tbsp salt hickory salt or more coarse salt
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 3 tsp celery seeds
- 1.5 tsp cayenne pepper
- Place all the ingredients for the dry rub in a bowl and mix it well. Use your hands to loosen the clumps of brown sugar.
- Put the dry rub in an airtight jar and keep it in a cool and dark place.
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect grilling. Maintain a temperature of about 120 degrees Celsius.
- Get a large bowl or dish in which you can put the rib fingers. After you put the rib fingers in the dish, you drizzle them with olive oil and coat them well with the rub.
- Place the rib fingers on the BBQ and cook them indirectly for about 2.5 hours at 120 degrees Celsius. For a more smokey taste, you can add some smoke wood to the coals.
- Turn the meat regularly, so that it colors nicely on all sides.
- After 2.5 hours, the rib fingers are definitely done and deliciously tender! You can serve them with, for example, a tzatziki sauce.