By brining the cod in miso, it gets a lovely intense taste. It has to rest overnight so preparing the dish takes a while, but that is absolutely worth it. By baking it first in a pan and then cooking it in the oven, the cod gets a nice brown crust and remains nice and soft on the inside.
Serve the brined cod with wok vegetables and rice if desired.
Brined cod with miso from the oven
- 600 gr cod fresh fillet
- 60 ml Chinese rice wine or sherry
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 8 tbsp white miso
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- sesame seeds
For the vegetable
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 400 gr spinach
- 250 gr podded peas
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Depending on the size of the cod, divide it into pieces of about 150 grams.
- Pat the cod dry with kitchen paper. Then season both sides with salt and let it rest for an hour.
- Heat the rice wine in a saucepan over medium heat so the alcohol can evaporate. Then add the sugar and miso. Stir everything well and let it cool down.
- Coat the fish with the mixture. Place in a sealed container and let it brine overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Remove the fish from the refrigerator, wash your hands and remove the excess mixture with your hands.
- Put sunflower oil in a frying pan. Place baking paper on top of it (this prevents the fish from sticking) and then place the fish. Fry for 2 minutes on both sides until nicely browned and caramelised.
- Turn off the oven and leave the dish to cook it for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the sesame oil in a wok over high heat. Add the spinach and podded peas and stir-fry them for a few minutes. Deglaze with soy sauce.
- Roast the sesame seeds until they turn golden brown.
- Put the vegetables on the plate first, then add the cod and then sprinkle the sesame seeds on top of it. Serve with rice if desired. Enjoy your meal!