Crispy pork belly is also known as a nice piece of slowly cooked pork belly with a delicious, crispy top. In our opinion, pork belly is one of the better cuts of pork. It is a piece of meat that has a high fat content, which releases many flavors when it is cooked.
Although we are lovers of barbecuing, making a pork belly dish from the oven is just as delicious. Crispy pork belly; the name says it all, pork belly with rind that has become wonderfully crispy in the oven.
Making the rind crispy can be a difficult task in some cases. In the meantime, many methods have been researched that produce the crispiest result, but what exactly is that crispy top?
To get a crispy pork belly you need to use a piece of pork belly with rind. The rind is simply the skin of the pig. By cooking this correctly, it will swell into a crispy layer. If your rind is not crispy, it is not good to eat and will feel hard and chewy.
One of the most important rules for cooking a crispy pork belly is that the rind remains dry. Never cover it with a marinade.
Below we explain more about the process of making this dish and share a delicious recipe for crispy pork belly with you.
Oven roasted crispy pork belly
- 1.5 pork belly
- sea salt coarse
- 1 fennel
- 2 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 star anise
- 6 cardamom seeds
- white wine
- olive oil
- 600 ml chicken stock
- fennel seed
- 1 slice white bread
- Cut the rind of the pork belly crosswise so that a diamond pattern is visible all over the top.
- Rub a handful of coarse sea salt between the diamonds on top of the pork belly. It is important that there is a good amount of salt on the whole piece of meat. This helps to make the rind dry to get it crispy.
- Grab a roasting tin. Place it on the stove over medium heat and add a good glug of olive oil.
- Cut the fennel and shallots into medium sized pieces and place them in the roasting tin. Also add a tablespoon of fennel seeds, the bay leaves and the star anise. Cut the garlic cloves into thin slices and add them as well.
- Crush the cardamom seeds with a mortar or large knife and add them as well.
- Fruit everything equally well. This way all the flavors come out nicely.
- Place the pork belly, flesh side down, in the roasting pan. Add a good splash (about 2 glasses) of white wine to the roasting pan. So much that the bottom is completely covered. Let the alcohol boil for about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock to the roasting tin. Add enough so that the pork belly is covered with the stock up to the rind. Make sure that the rind remains dry.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Bring everything to a boil on the stove. This is important because if it doesn’t cook before it goes into the oven, it will not cook in the oven either.
- When it’s all cooked, place the roasting pan at the bottom of the oven. It can stay here at 180 degrees Celsius for 2 hours.
- After the two hours have passed, your pork belly is ready. If it is not yet crispy enough, leave the roasting tray in the oven and use the grill function for about 15 minutes.
- When your pork belly is ready, remove it from the roasting pan. Then place the roasting pan back on the stove. Let the pork belly rest under aluminum foil for 10 minutes.
- The remaining liquid in the roasting pan contains a lot of fat. We remove that by pulling a white slice of bread over the liquid. The sandwich will absorb the fat and you won’t need it afterwards.
- Add a large spoonful of coarse mustard to the liquid and bring it to a boil. Keep stirring well.
- Pour the liquid into a bowl and use it as gravy for the pork belly.
- TIP: it is easiest to cut the crispy pork belly with a bread knife.