We already made a grilled avocado with tomato salsa, but that also combines well with a sweet potato. It is nice to roast the sweet potato first.
We give this tomato salsa a slightly different twist. We add, among other things, a red pepper. We ourselves had a cabe rawit lying around. That is a red pepper from Asia and a bit spicier than the supermarket’s red pepper.
We roast the potatoes on the barbecue, but of course it is possible to use the oven. To do this, preheat the oven to 200 °C and place them wrapped in aluminium foil in the oven. Basically the same way as explained below.
Jacket sweet potato is a nice side dish. For example, we ate it with these spare ribs.
Jacket Sweet Potato with Tomato Salsa
- 4 sweet potatoes
- olive oil
- tomato salsa
- 2 tomatoes deseeded and cut into pieces
- cucumber cut into cubes
- 100 gr feta in cubes
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 red pepper
- olive oil
- black pepper
Roasting the sweet potato
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect grilling. Maintain a temperature of 200 °C.
- Wash the sweet potatoes well and remove any irregularities.
- Drizzle the sweet potatoes with a little bit of oil and wrap them in aluminium foil. Then place them on the grid when the barbecue is up to temperature. After about 45 minutes they are ready. Turn them once halfway through.
Prepare the tomato salsa
- Cut the tomatoes into small pieces and remove the seeds. Cut the cucumber, feta and red onion into small cubes and place it, together with the tomatoes, in a bowl. Press the garlic clove and add it too.
- Finely chop the red pepper. Remove the seeds and pits. Leave some seeds to make the salsa more spicy and then add it to the salsa.
- Drizzle the tomato salsa with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the barbecue. Make an incision in the potatoes with a knife and spoon the tomato salsa into the potatoes.