In this recipe we prepare the tilapia in the oven with a herb crust. We serve it with a pearl couscous salad.
Tilapia originates from Africa where it thrives perfectly in fresh and sometimes even brackish waters. It is a fish that makes few demands on its environment and is therefore perfect for breeding.
Outside of Africa, it is widely cultivated in Asia as well. More and more nurseries have opened in the Netherlands in recent decades. These are mainly former pig farmers who have opted for a different revenue model.
The firm, white fish meat lends itself to many different cooking techniques. It can even be processed in pieces in a curry without it falling apart completely. Tilapia is particularly popular because of its favourable price compared to, for example, cod.
Tilapia has firm flesh, contains no bones and has a mild flavour. It does not have an overwhelming “fishy taste”.
The fish is extremely versatile. You can pan-fry tilapia, grill it, and so on. To enjoy it even more, you can marinate the tilapia before you prepare it.
Oven baked tilapia with a herb crust
- 4 pieces tilapia fillet
- 300 gr pearl couscous
- ½ zucchini
- 1 red pointed pepper
- 250 gr cherry tomatoes
- 2 sprigs mint fresh
- 100 gr feta cheese
- 4 tbsp herbal oil
- ½ lime
- black pepper freshly grounded
For the herb crust
- 75 gr panko or breadcrumbs
- 75 gr butter soft
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp green olives finely chopped
- 1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- 1 tbsp capers
- ¼ lime juice and zest
- pepper freshly grounded
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees.
- Place the cherry tomatoes in an oven dish, drizzle with a little bit of herb oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and pop for about 15 minutes.
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil with a good pinch of salt and cook the pearl couscous according to the instructions on the package. Drain and let it steam out well.
- Cut the zucchini into fine cubes and fry briefly in a drop of oil until it starts to change colour. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the couscous with the roasted cherry tomatoes and the oil from the oven dish. Add the zucchini and the finely chopped pointed pepper and grater the lime zest. Squeeze in the lime juice.
- Finely chop the mint leaves and crumble the feta cheese. Mix with the pearl couscous and season with the herb oil, salt and pepper.
- Mix all ingredients for the herb crust in a bowl until it is homogeneous and season it with salt and pepper.
- Place the tilapia fillets on a baking tray and season generously with salt and pepper. Divide the herb crust on top of it and press flat to distribute evenly. Place in the preheated oven and turn on the grill. Do not place the baking tray too close to the grill and let it roast nicely and become crispy in about 10 minutes. Check whether the tilapia fillets are just cooked.
- Divide the pearl couscous on 4 plates and carefully place the tilapia fillet on top. Drizzle some more herb oil on top of it.