For this dish we go for a Mexican style. We marinate the pork shoulder with a Mexican marinade. This marinade consists of different spices with the juice of an orange and a lime.
We create a pineapple salsa on top of the meat. Super simple, but delicious with a fresh twist.
To make things complete we prepare Mexican rice with kidney beans, corn and green beans as well. Just cook it nicely with tomato cubes and some garlic.
The fresh salsa makes this dish ideal for a hot summer day or just for when you want to prepare healthy pulled pork. We do not add barbecue sauce and the marinade does not contain any sugar either.
Check for the entire fiesta Mexicana below.
Mexican pork shoulder with a fresh pineapple salsa and rice
- 800 gr pork shoulder
- handful wood chips
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 3 cloves
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp pimenton smoked paprika powder
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 5 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp orange juice
- 1 lime 4 tbsp lime juice
- pineapple cubes from a can or from 1/4 pineapple
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 lime all the juice
- 200 gr rice basmati
- 200 g kidney beans
- 200 gr corn
- 100 gr green beans
- 5 tbsp canned tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- olive oil
Marinate pork shoulder
- Finely grind the cloves. Add all the ingredients for the marinade to a bowl and stir.
- Place the pork shoulder in a baking dish and pour the marinade on top of it. Rub the marinade well into the meat. Cover the dish with aluminium foil and let it marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
On the grill
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect grilling. Maintain a temperature approximately 150 °C.
- Place a handful of wood chips in a bowl with water and let it soak for 10 minutes. Then drain them.
- Throw the wood chips on the coals when the barbecue is up to temperature. Place the meat on the grill. Let it cook for about 4 hours or until it has reached a core temperature of 93 °C.
Prepare the pineapple salsa
- Meanwhile, mix all the ingredients for the pineapple salsa in a bowl and refrigerate.
For the rice
- Cook the rice according to the package with the chicken stock cube. Cook the green beans in another pot.
- Put a dash of oil into a wok and fry the garlic in it. Add the cumin powder and the tomato cubes and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the rice, kidney beans, green beans and corn and stir fry briefly. Add salt to taste.
- Sprinkle the parsley on top of the rice.
- Remove the meat from the barbecue when it has reached a core temperature of 93°C. Cover loosely with aluminium foil and let it set for 10 minutes.
- Place the meat on a plate and pull it apart with a fork or meat claw. Add the pineapple salsa on top of the meat and serve it with the rice.