Herring is a type of small, oily fish belonging to the Clupeidae family. They are commonly found in the cold waters of the North Atlantic, North Pacific, and Baltic Sea.
Herring can be found in various species and subspecies, and they have been historically important in many cultures as a food source. They are often preserved through methods such as smoking, pickling, and salting. Herring are also used for producing fish oil and fish meal.
The fish fat and can therefore only be caught in the period from May to June. The caught herring is immediately cleaned, brined, rinsed and frozen.
This freezing is stipulated by law and ensures that any parasites present are killed. This means that fresh herring has always been frozen!
The herring salad contains baby potatoes, red beets and a poached egg. Poaching an egg may sound complicated, but it certainly is not if you follow our steps.
Herring salad with baby potatoes, beetroot and a poached egg
- 600 grams baby potatoes
- 4 red beets cooked
- 2 apples
- 2 slices white bread
- 4 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1.5 tbsp green herbs parsley, chervil finely chopped
- ½ lemon juice
- 4 pcs herring
- 4 poached eggs
- lump butter
- pinch cayenne pepper
- black pepper freshly ground
- Brush the baby potatoes well and cut them in half or possibly into quarters. Boil them in salted water for about 15-20 minutes. Drain and let it release all the steam. Do not rinse them with water.
- Add the butter to the pan and wait for it to sizzle. Meanwhile, cut the bread into small cubes and bake golden brown and crispy croutons.
- Cut the beets and the apple into cubes that are not too small and mix them with the boiled baby potatoes.
- Mix the Greek yogurt with the finely chopped herbs and lemon juice and season it with salt and pepper.
- Dress the salad with part of the yoghurt dressing and leave it in the fridge to marinate for an hour.
- Arrange the salad in deep plates. Cut the herring into strips and place them on the salad. Sprinkle with the croutons and place a lukewarm poached egg in the centre of the salad.
- Garnish with some finely chopped apple and top it with chervil if desired.