When we talk about langoustines, we can immediately clear up a misunderstanding: very often people talk about scampi while they mean gambas. Scampi are langoustines and that is a species of lobster. Gambas are freshwater or saltwater shrimp species.
Langoustines, also known as Norway lobster or Dublin Bay prawns, are one of the most delicate types of crustaceans.
You can even eat langoustines raw; it really highlights the sweet taste beautifully. Make sure not to cook them too long, they are disgusting when half-cooked.
Make sure you always buy fresh langoustines and look carefully at the size. The bigger, the tastier they are.
In this recipe we start by preparing butter with lime and green herbs. We then pour this butter on top of the langoustines and grill them on the barbecue.
The ingredients for this dish are fresh langoustines, salted butter, lime, parsley, chives, black pepper and fleur de sel.
The langoustines are cut in half and cleaned. Then lime butter with herbs is poured over the langoustines and they are grilled until they are hot. The dish is served with lime wedges and serve immediately.
Grilled Langoustines with lime butter
- 8 langoustines
- 75 grams butter salted
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chives finely chopped
- black pepper freshly ground
- fleur de sel
- Preheat the barbecue for direct grilling and heat it to about 180 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan then add the juice and zest of half a lime. Cut the rest of the lime into wedges.
- Add chives and parsley to the butter and season generously with freshly grounded black pepper.
- Cut the langoustines in half lengthwise with a razor-sharp knife and remove the hard stomach pouch from both sides of the head.
- Remove the intestinal tract from the tail with a pointed knife.
- Place the langoustines on a platter cut-side up and pour the lime butter generously on top of it.
- Place them shell-side down on the grill grate directly above the coals and allow to heat thoroughly for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the grill, place on a platter and serve with the lime wedges. Serve immediately.