The hanger steak was a forgotten piece of meat, but is making a comeback. That’s a good thing, because it’s a tasty piece of meat. Here you can read more about what a hanger steak is.
For now, I will combine the hanger steak with chimichurri and a puffed onion. Chimichurri is a steak sauce that can be used on any grilled beef. It is also delicious with chicken or pork.
A puffed onion is easy to make and very tasty in combination with the sauce and the hanger steak. I will cook the hanger steak on the barbecue.
Hanger steak with chimichurri and a puffed onion
- 2 whole onions
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- 1 hanger steak of 400 – 700 grams
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Follow the step-by-step plan
- Puffed onion
- Making a puffed onion is simple. Cut an onion in half. You can peel the skin off, but I don’t. The outer edge can become a bit darker due to the heat. By leaving the skin on, this will darken and not the inside.
- Place the onion, cut side up, on aluminum foil. Drizzle this side with a little olive oil. Then sprinkle some sea salt, oregano, rosemary and thyme on top. Finally, place a clove of garlic on top and close the aluminum foil.
- Place the onions on the barbecue for about half an hour.
- Hanger steak
- Remove the meat from the refrigerator an hour before cooking and let it reach room temperature.
- A hanger steak has a membrane in the middle. You have to remove this because it is very tough. Take a sharp knife and cut along one side of the membrane. Make short cutting movements, so that you don’t cut away much of the good piece of meat. Once you’ve cut one side, cut the other side.
- Prepare the barbecue for the direct grilling method. Clean the grill grate and grease it with oil. Sprinkle the hanger steak with salt. Meanwhile, place the onions on the barbecue. These need half an hour to be cooked.
- Place the hanger steak on the direct grilling part of the barbecue and grill both sides for a few minutes.
- Then cook the meat on a less hot zone to a core temperature of 50-52 °C.
- Remove the meat from the barbecue and let it rest for 5 minutes while it’s loosely covered with aluminum foil.
- Cut the hanger steak crosswise into thin slices and sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- Serve the steak with the chimichurri sauce.