A chicken leg once in a while is delicious. Especially when it’s nice and crunchy with a crispy skin. This recipe belongs to the easy category. But even the simple dishes you can enjoy.
Prepare the chicken legs
You can prepare the chicken legs on the barbecue or in the oven. The same applies to both; 50 minutes at 180℃.
However, there is a small difference in taste. When preparing on the barbecue you get more of a smoky flavour in the chicken legs. This is partly due to the wood chips that we throw on top of the coals.
In this recipe we choose a Mediterranean dry rub. We use the rub here for chicken legs, but you can also use it for an whole chicken on the barbecue. Before we start using the rub, we sprinkle the chicken legs with a little bit of oil to make the herbs stick well.
Grilled Mediterranean Chicken Legs
- 2 chicken legs
- handful hickory wood chips or flavour of your choice
- olive oil
Mediterranean dry rub
- 3 tablespoon rosemary dried
- 2 tablespoon sage dried
- 2 tablespoon oregano dried
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon sea salt coarse
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon pimentón smoked paprika powder
- Put all ingredients for the Mediterranean dry rub in a bowl and mix well.
- Pat the chicken legs dry with kitchen paper. Then drizzle them with a small drizzle of olive oil. This ensures that the spice mixture sticks well to the meat. Rub the dry rub on both sides of the legs. Cover the chicken legs with aluminium foil and let them marinate for 4 hours.
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect grilling. Maintain a temperature of approximately 180 °C.
- Place a handful of wood chips in a container with water and let them soak for 10 minutes. Then drain them.
- Add the wood chips to the coals when the barbecue is up to temperature. Then place the chicken legs on the grid and let them cook indirectly for 50 minutes. The chicken legs are then basically ready. If you still want to measure the temperature, maintain a core temperature of 75°C.