This is such a typical dish that you love to make on a weekly basis. Just throw the drumsticks quickly on the barbecue, rub them with your favourite marinade and you have a delicious dish. Add an Indian pale ale and the evening is complete.
We prepare the marinade with some oriental ingredients. You can vary with the ingredients as you like with, for example, hoisin, star anise and a cinnamon stick. Try to discover your ideal combination. We choose the recipe.
We prepared this recipe on the barbecue. This way the skin will be slightly crispier and you will get a delicious smoky taste.
Prefer to prepare it in the oven? That is also possible of course. Use the same temperature and time as indicated below.
Sticky grilled chicken drumsticks
- 4 drumsticks
- handful wood chips
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
- 7 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar light
- 1.5 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1.5 tbsp mirin
- 1/2 tbsp sriracha
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 6 cm ginger grated
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder from the supermarket or homemade
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect grilling. Maintain a temperature of approximately 175 °C.
- Meanwhile, place the wood chips in a bowl of water for 10 minutes. Then drain them.
- Sprinkle the wood chips on the coals. Place the drumsticks on the grid and let them cook indirectly for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Place all ingredients in a saucepan and heat at medium heat. Let it simmer for 5 minutes. Make sure the sauce thickens too much.
- When the 25 minutes are up, swirl the drumsticks one at a time through the sauce. Place them back on the grid and cook for another 25 minutes. Keep an eye on the drumsticks to make sure they don’t burn. Therefore turn them every 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cut the spring onion into thin rings and sprinkle on top of the chicken and serve.