The round steak is one of the many types of steak that can be cut from a cow. It can be cut from two different parts: the muscle piece or the rump.
These so-called technical parts are located around the top buttock and can be further divided. The part close to the ball joint is called the ball and thereby immediately explains the name of the steak a little bit.
Make sure that the meat has been removed from the refrigerator for a while, so that it reaches the right temperature before cooking. Season it with freshly grounded pepper and salt and fry it on both sides in oil with a knob of butter until it’s golden brown.
Never serve the steak immediately after cooking, but let it rest on the grid for a few minutes. This way the juices redistribute through the meat evenly.
In this recipe we serve the round steak with rösti. On top of the meat we serve fried mushrooms and shallots together with the frying butter.
Round steak with fried mushrooms and rösti
- 4 round steaks
- 2 shallots
- 250 gr mixed mushrooms
- 1 tbsp chives finely chopped
- 8 rösti recipe
- splash sunflower oil
- lump butter
- black pepper freshly grounded
- Take the steaks out of the refrigerator about 20 minutes before serving, pat them dry and season them with freshly grounded pepper and salt.
- Meanwhile, clean the shallot and cut into thin rings.
- Cut or tear the mushrooms.
- Heat a dash of sunflower oil in a frying pan until it is hot and fry the steaks on 1 side at high heat until they are seared well.
- Turn over the meat, let it cook for another 3 minutes and then add a generous knob of butter. Spoon the frying butter on top of it continuously until the meat has a nice colour. Remove from the pan and let rest on a wire rack for about 5 minutes. Cover it with a sheet of aluminium foil if necessary.
- Braise the shallot in the pan that you used for the steak until it is translucent. Turn up the heat and add the mushrooms and a knob of butter. Bake for a few minutes until nicely browned.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the chopped chives.
- Cut the round steak into nice slices and add the mushrooms with some butter on top of it. Serve with the röstis.