Hasselback potatoes are an ideal side dish for meat, fish, chicken or whatever. Something different than regular potatoes from the barbecue. In addition, the sliced and crispy potatoes also look fancy.
What Are Hasselback Potatoes?
Hasselback potatoes are crispy fried potatoes. Originally it is a Swedish dish. There they are called Hasselbacken.
Over the years there have been many variations of this dish. That creates a lot of fun. So next time you can experiment with a dry rub or smoked paprika powder.
In addition to presenting beautifully, they also do well in taste and texture. The top becomes crispy, which makes it look a bit like potato chips. The bottom remains a bit softer, but tasteful because of the butter and herbs.
How do you prepare them?
Although they look fancy, they are very easy to make. You can prepare them in different ways. You can place the potato on a spoon and then cut thin slices into it. The spoon will prevent you from cutting all the way through.
You can also grab two skewers, for example. You then place these on both sides of the potato. Then cut it into sticks with a knife. This also prevents you from cutting through it.
Finally, you can of course also cut it by touch. When cutting, make slices of about 2 to 3 mm.
Grilled Hasselback Potatoes
- 1 kg potatoes waxy
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic
- 40 gr parmesan cheese
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect grilling. Maintain a working temperature of 200 ℃.
- Place the potatoes one by one between two skewers and cut thin slices until you touch the skewers. It is intended that the potato remains in one piece. Then put all the potatoes in an oven dish or cast iron pan.
- Let the butter melt in a bowl. If it is still really hard, you can warm it a little bit.
- Squeeze the garlic on top of the butter. Add some rosemary and thyme as well. Mix it with a brush. Then brush the potatoes with the mixture. Also go well between the slices with the brush.
- Sprinkle them with some salt and place the oven dish or cast iron pan on the grill grate.
- Remove them from the grill after 30 minutes. Sprinkle them with the parmesan cheese. Make sure that there is some cheese between the cut slices as well. Then place them back on the barbecue for half an hour.
- The potatoes are ready when they are nice and crispy. Add salt to taste.