Ceviche originates from Peru and is a very special preparation method in which the sour juice of citrus fruits sort of cooks the fish.
The acid causes the proteins to coagulate, making it look like the sea bass is really cooked while it is still raw though. Therefore, only make ceviche if you are certain that your fish is super fresh fish.
Every family has its own recipe for the marinade, which almost always contains lime juice (or another citrus fruit), peppers, onion and coriander.
In addition, you can vary widely with for example: tomato, avocado and even coconut or tropical fruits, such as mango and pineapple. The ceviche marinade is called leche de tigre, or tiger’s milk.
Marinating the fish for a ceviche can be done à la minute, but you get the best result if you marinate it in the fridge for at least 2 to 4 hours.
Traditionally, ceviche is served with tortilla chips, tostados, or lettuce leaves used as a cup.
How to prepare ceviche?
First of all, we finely chop the vegetables and mix them in a bowl. Then we cut the sea bass into thin slices with a razor-sharp knife. We press the slices of sea bass between the ingredients in the dish.
Then we grate the lemon zest on top and let it marinate for two hours. Read the recipe and instructions below.
Sea bass ceviche
- 2 sea bass fillets without skin of about 150 grams
- 2 pcs jalapeno pepper
- 8 sprigs coriander fresh
- 1 avocado
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 3 limes
- pinch salt
- Cut the jalapeno peppers in half and remove the seeds. Finely slice the flesh. If you like spicy, do not remove the list of the seeds and add the seeds as well.
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters, remove the seed list and cut the flesh into small cubes.
- Clean the red onion and mince it. Mince the coriander sprigs.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit and scoop out the flesh. Cut the flesh into small cubes.
- Put the pepper, tomato, red onion, avocado and coriander in a bowl and mix them.
- Cut thin slices of the sea bass fillet diagonally with a razor-sharp knife and press them between the ingredients in the dish.
- Grate the zest of the lime on top and squeeze the lime juice over it. Season with a pinch of salt and press the sea bass slightly to moisten it well.
- Place in the refrigerator and let marinate for 1 hour. thereafter, turn the pieces of sea bass fillet and leave to marinate for another hour.
- Arrange in deep plates and serve generously with the marinade. For example, serve with tortilla chips.