It may sound crazy, but for the best pizza sauce you don’t use fresh tomatoes!
You can make a powerful sauce with diced tomatoes, peeled tomatoes or canned cherry tomatoes. Yes, even most Italians do this.
The official Neapolitan pizza is even just topped with torn, peeled and canned tomatoes, without any extra seasonings.
In fact, the amount has even been officially determined, it should be between 80 and 100 grams. With the following recipe you need less sauce than the quantities mentioned above.
But before you start to prepare a pizza sauce you first have to make your own pizza dough.
Which pizza do you choose?
Have a look at a selection of our other pizzas below:
- Pizza Margherita
- Pizza Salami
- Pizza Prosciutto with arugula and pesto
- Vegetarian pizza
- Pizza on the grill
Make your own pizza sauce
- 1 can 400 grams peeled tomatoes diced tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 shallots
- 2 sprigs oregano
- 8 leaves basil fresh
- splash olive oil
- black pepper freshly grounded
- Clean the garlic and lettuce and chop very finely.
- Heat a dash of olive oil in a saucepan and fry the garlic and shallot for about 5 minutes.
- Add the risen oregano, fry briefly and then add the contents of the can. So not only the tomatoes, but also the moisture.
- Bring to a boil and let it reduce slowly to a powerful and “thick” sauce.
- Remove from the heat and season to taste with a pinch of salt and freshly grounded pepper. Tear the basil leaves and stir into the sauce.