This dish is simple, but oh so delicious. You can easily make fried rice at home. By simply stir-frying, you turn white rice into a tasty dish with soy sauce, oyster sauce and colorful vegetables. Such a mean is ideal for a lazy Sunday!
In Asian cuisine, fried rice is often served as a side dish to complete the meal. We add shrimp for a little more filling to the dish. You can also use chicken if you’d prefer that or if you don’t like shrimp.
Preparing the rice
Long grain vs short grain rice
For making fried rice, it is better to use long grain rice. It retains its structure better and sticks together less than short grain rice.
We have decided to opt for Jasmine rice, because it has a light flowery aroma. In addition, it is not as sticky when cooked and is quite dry in texture.
You can also go for basmati rice or brown rice, but don’t use short grain rice. That sticks too much.
Washing & cooking
Before cooking the rice, wash it with cold water. This prevents it from becoming very sticky during stir-frying.
Let the rice cool down after cooking before throwing it into the wok. This prevents it from getting clumpy and sticky. You can do this by putting it in the fridge for 5-10 minutes.
Now use a steel wok or a large (non-sticky) cast iron pan. The round shape ensures that the bottom and the side of the pan get very hot, so that you can fry faster and the rice gets a nice brown color. The rice owes its taste not only to the sauce, but also to frying in the oil.
Fried Rice With Shrimp
- 3 cloves garlic
- 10 shrimps peeled and deveined
- 2 eggs beaten
- 250 gr jasmine rice cooked rice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 6 red and green rawit peppers finely chopped (the more, the spicier)
- 2 tbsp peas
- 2 tbsp carrots
- 2 tbsp onions
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1 small cucumber sliced
- 1 tomato sliced
- Olive oil
- Wash the rice and cook it according to the package. Then let it cool.
- Heat oil in wok over medium heat. Fry the garlic for 1 minute.
- Add the prawns and cook them for 2 minutes until they turn pink.
- Add the beaten eggs and fry them for 1 minute.
- Add the rice and fry it for 2 minutes while stirring.
- Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce and sugar and stir-fry the whole for 1 minute.
- Finally, add the rawit peppers, peas, carrots and onions and fry the mixture for another minute.
- Garnish the rice with the spring onions, cucumber and tomato.