Do you fancy a stew, but don’t have the time or desire to make an extensive and complicated meal? Then this daging smoor is the ideal dish. Within 10 minutes you have everything in the pan. Then there is another 3 hours of waiting.
What is Daging Smoor?
Daging smoor is beef stewed in sweet soy sauce. Daging means beef and smoor is a stew. It is a classic Indonesian dish and therefore much simpler than, for example, rendang, for which you need a large list of ingredients.
We used beef chuck for this dish, but you can also use other stewed meat. You can also vary with the ingredients as you like. We like a bit of spiciness ourselves, which is why we added the cabe rawits.
Daging Smoor (beef stewed in sweet soy sauce)
- 700 gr beef chuck
- 7 shallots finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1 tomato peeled and cut into pieces
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 2 cabe rawits seeded and finely chopped
- 6 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 500 ml water
- 1 salam leaf
- olive oil
- Cut the ribs into cubes. Then fry them in a frying pan for a few minutes until they are brown. Then remove them from the pan and place on a plate.
- Caramelize the garlic and shallots with the pepper, nutmeg and cloves. Add some salt to taste.
- Peel the tomatoes. With a sharp knife make a cross on the convex side of the tomato. Then dip them in boiling water for 10 seconds. Immediately rinse them under cold water and remove the skins. Then cut them into pieces.
- Add the tomato to the meat, the sweet soy sauce, the vinegar, cabe rawits and the water in the pan and let it simmer on a low heat for 3 hours. Add the salam leaf as well. If desired, you can add water and sweet soy sauce.