Thai red curry not only contains full Thai flavours, but it smells delicious as well. The creamy red curry sauce is so good that everything actually tastes good in it.
You can prepare this dish within 30 minutes. You can buy pre-made paste, but of course it is more fun to make Thai red curry paste yourself.
What does Thai red curry taste like?
Like most Asian curries, the Thai red curry has nice rich flavours. The taste of the sauce is a bit complex. This is due to the different ingredients of the paste, which is then mixed with broth and coconut milk. It is a rich sauce with sweet and spicy tones.
The shrimp paste and the fish sauce in the paste provide the umami taste. On the other hand, the fish flavour is certainly not predominant.
Contrary to general belief, Thai red curry is not that spicy at all. Indeed it contains some peppers, but it has a rather mild taste. Green curry, on the other hand, is much spicier.
What vegetables do you use in the curry?
You can really go wild with this curry. You can put all kinds of vegetables in it. We went for eggplant, bok choy and bell pepper. But you can also use green beans or lychees.
Check out our other Thai curries as well:
Thai red curry with chicken and vegetables
- 70 gr red curry paste recipe
- 500 gr chicken thighs in small cubes
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 100 ml chicken stock
- 2.5 tbsp fish sauce
- 2.5 tbsp palm sugar or light brown sugar
- 1 eggplant in small cubes
- 1 bok choy in pieces of 1 cm
- 100 gr pineapple chunks
- 5 kaffir lime leaves finely chopped
- 250 gr jasmine rice
- Cook the rice according to the instructions on the package.
- Heat oil in a wok at medium heat and fry the curry paste for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chicken and stir-fry for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Then pour in the broth and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce, sugar, eggplant, bok choy, pineapple and lime leaves and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve together with the rice. Enjoy your meal!