This Texan chilli dry rub is ideal for any type of beef. The chipotle peppers (smoked jalapeño peppers) do not contain a strong smoky flavour. Do you like spicy food? Then do not remove the seeds of the chipotle pepper. Use 3 to 5 teaspoons for 500 gr of meat.
Texas chilli dry rub
- 1-2 chipotle peppers cut open and seeds removed
- 2 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 50 gr salt coarse
- 50 gr chilli or paprika mild powder
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Heat a small stainless steel skillet on medium heat. Toast the chipotle pepper for 1 minute.
- Add the peppercorns, cumin, coriander and mustard seeds and toast for another 2 minutes. Do not roast it too long, otherwise the herbs will become bitter.
- Put the spices in a bowl and let them cool off. Then finely grind them in a mortar or a spice grinder.
- Return the spice mixture to the bowl and mix it with the remaining ingredients.
- The dry rub can be stored in an airtight jar for at least 6 months.