Everyone knows it from the oxtail soup dish. But you can also make delicious stews with oxtail. In this recipe we go for an Italian variant.
Oxtail is, as the word entails, the tail of a cow. It is quite firm and a special kind of meat. It is gelatinous and surrounded by bone. Stewing oxtail slowly makes it incredibly tender and makes it fall off the bone.
Make sure the oxtails are already cut into pieces. Try to keep roughly equal pieces.
Stewed oxtail with pasta
- 1.5 kg oxtail in pieces with bone
- olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 celery branch cut into small pieces
- 1 carrot cut into small pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 375 ml red wine
- 800 gr canned Italian tomatoes
- 3 sprigs of oregano
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 500 grams rigatoni
- Pecorino Romano grated cheese
- Heat a dash of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot and cook them for 5 minutes, while stirring, until the vegetables soften. Add the garlic at the last minute. Scoop everything out of the pan and put it on a plate.
- Sprinkle the oxtail on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Add a small splash of oil to the frying pan. Add the oxtails in batches and brown them, while stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove them from the pan and add the other batch of oxtails.
- Add the sautéed vegetables and oxtail to the pan. Add the wine, bring it to a boil and cook it for 5-6 minutes until it is reduced by half.
- Add the tomatoes. Break them up with a stirring spoon. Then add the sprigs of oregano and 250 ml of water. Add salt and pepper to taste and bring the mixture to a boil. Put a lid on the pan, reduce the heat and simmer for 3.5 hours until the meat falls off the bone.
- Remove the oxtail pieces from the pan and remove excess fat from the meat. Once the meat has cooled slightly, remove the meat from the bone. Then put the meat back in the pan. Add the red wine vinegar and keep it warm.
- Cook the pasta al dente according to the package, drain and return to the pan. Mix the pasta with the sauce and the meat. Serve it with the grated cheese. Enjoy your meal!