Beautiful, puffed potato pillows that are completely hollow on the inside, this is what a perfect pomme soufflé looks like.
Pommes soufflée is a culinary term that refers to a specific way of preparing potatoes. They are basically fried potatoes that are prepared in a unique way to get a light and crispy texture.
It takes some time to prepare the pommes soufflé and to master the technique perfectly, but once you have mastered it, you have a very nice side dish to serve with various fish dishes.
You can also cut them carefully open and fill them à la minute with a little salad or very luxuriously with caviar.
Once the pommes soufflé has cooled down properly, you can store them for a few days in a tightly sealed container.
Recipes with pommes soufflées:
- 1 large potato
- potato starch
- 1 egg white
- sunflower oil
- Heat the sunflower oil in a wide pan to 180 degrees or use a deep fryer.
- Shave the potato into as thin slices as possible, using a mandolin or on a very sharp slicer. The slices should be so thin that you can see through them. Do not wash the potatoes at all! You have to work quickly so that they do not discolour.
- Place the (unpeeled) potato slices tightly next to each other and dust half of it with the potato starch. Rub it lightly using a brush so that the starch is evenly distributed.
- Lightly beat the egg white and then brush the other half of the potato slices with the egg white.
- Place the slices with the starch, starch side down, on top of the slices with egg white and press firmly with your flat hand.
- Now cut out a tight circle using a small cutter. You can also choose to cut out different sizes.
- Place a few of the cut out potato slices in the oil and leave for a few seconds. You will see that they will start to prompt almost immediately. Now carefully turn them around so that the oil reaches all sides and they puff and color evenly.
- The pommes soufflées are done when they are golden brown and nicely puffed. Remove from the oil and let it drain on kitchen paper. Sprinkle with a little salt.