Nothing beats a delicious stew with thick Belgian fries and some mayonnaise, or so called fries with stew. This is a traditional stew recipe with carrots, syrup, onions, garlic and some herbs. Simmer and four hours later and it’s mouth watering.
We choose a brown beer in this recipe. The sweet tones of the beer combine well with the meat. The acids in the beer break down the connective tissue of the meat, making it nice and tender. The alcohol evaporates and the flavour absorbs into the meat.
Add the beer through the side of the pan so that it reaches the meat hot. Cold beer can “scare” the meat.
Always use a thick-bottomed pan for a stew.
Would you prefer a different recipe with stew?
Also check out our other stew recipes:
Beef Stew with Beer and Belgian Fries
for the beef stew
- 1 kg beef chuck
- 1 winter carrot cut into cubes
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 30 gr butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 3 tbsp apple syrup
- 1 bottle Leffe Brown
- 200 ml beef stock optional
for the Belgium fries
- 1 kg potatoes large and waxy
For the stew
- Cut the ribs into cubes of 4 cm and mix with the flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter in a thick-bottomed pan. Add the meat and fry until brown all over. Then remove the meat from the pan and place on a plate.
- Caramelise the onion and garlic in the pan.
- Add the meat, carrot cubes, bay leaf, cloves and thyme. Then add the syrup. Tilt the pan slightly and pour the beer along the side of the pan onto the meat. Simmer without a lid for at least 2 hours, but preferably 4 hours.
- If the meat gets too dry, you can add a dash of broth.
For the Belgian fries
- The choice to remove the skin is personal. For authentic Belgian fries, you do indeed remove the skin.
- Cut off the sides, front and back to create straight potatoes. Then cut them into thick chips.
- Wash the potatoes well and dry them with a tea towel or paper towel.
- Fry them for 6 minutes at 140 °C. Let them cool down to room temperature on kitchen paper. If you want to use them again later, you can also store them in the refrigerator after cooling.
- After cooling down, bake them in the oven at 180 °C for 4 minutes.
- Season it with salt and serve with the stew and some mayonnaise.