This will be the first recipe in the “sweet” category that we post online. Something different than meat and fish for a change. But still very tasty (tip: spread a layer of jam on top of it) and healthy (without the jam), because we do not add any extra sugar.
If you want a slightly sweeter version, add 100 grams of sugar or a tablespoon of honey. Everything is possible and everything is allowed. The nice thing about banana bread is that you can vary endlessly.
We didn’t miss the sugar in this, but couldn’t resist eating a piece with a layer of jam. That’s really delicious.
We combine this recipe with coconut milk, lemongrass and lime zest too. Just for a nice fresh twist.
Barbecue or oven?
We prepared the banana bread on a barbecue, a kamado (Big Green Egg). If you want to prepare this recipe on the barbecue too, it is important that the barbecue has a lid.
Of course you can also just prepare it in the oven. Then heat the oven to 175 ℃ and bake the bread for 45 minutes.
Barbecue banana bread
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 1 stem of lemongrass
- 1 lime for zest and juice
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 bananas
- 3 eggs
- 150 gr almond flour
- 3 dates
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 75 gr mixed nuts
- 75 gr coconut grater
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect grilling. Maintain a working temperature of 175 ℃.
- Put the coconut milk in a saucepan. Grate about a tablespoon of lime zest, crush the lemongrass and add it to the coconut milk together with the turmeric. Heat it for 10 minutes and then let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Put the bananas together with the dates in a bowl and mash everything. Squeeze half of a lime on top of it. Then beat the eggs into the batter with a whisk.
- Add the almond flour and baking powder to the batter and mix with a spatula.
- Chop the nuts into pieces. Then add it together with the coconut milk and the coconut grater and add some salt. Stir well once more.
- Grease the cake tin with baking spray or melted butter and pour the mixture into the tin. Place the cake tin on the barbecue for 45 minutes. Prick the cake with a wooden toothpick. If nothing sticks to the pick, the cake is ready. Then let it cool for 15 minutes.