From frying it, grilling it to cooking it in the oven
Most of us know trout as fresh fish and smoked fish. It’s a very versatile fish, because you can cook it in different ways.
For example, you can fry trout in a pan. You can also cook it in the oven and on the barbecue. You can also smoke, boil, stew and poach the fish.
We even know trout as a side dish. In short, you can cook it in many ways. In addition, it’s even tastier if you combine it with a glass of wine. Read more about this delectable fish in this article.
What kind of fish is trout?
Trout is a freshwater fish that belongs to the salmon family. Usually this fish lives in cool, clear streams and lakes. You can recognize trout by the adipose fin, which is located just behind the caudal fin. This fish grows up to 120 centimeters long.
There are different types of trout. The best-known variants are the rainbow trout, the sea trout and the brown trout. Brown trout have a bronze color and are found sporadically in European streams.
Sea trout can be compared to brown trout, only sea trout is a lot bigger than brown trout. Brown trout go out to sea to find food and then return to their native river.
Rainbow trout naturally has pink-colored flesh, which it gets from eating shrimp and crayfish. Farmed rainbow trout have a different diet and therefore have gray meat. Rainbow trout live up to 11 years, while the brook and sea trout live up to 38 years.
Where does the fish come from?
Trout first occurred in the north of the Northern Hemisphere. Naturally, this fish has found its way to and spread across North America, Europe, and Northern Asia.
What does trout taste like?
Trout generally has a tasty, but fairly neutral or mild flavor. It also has a fine and delicate structure. However, because there are different types of trout, the taste may differ slightly.
For example, the flesh of the rainbow trout is shell-like and tender. In addition, the meat of this variant has a sweet smell. Like rainbow trout, sea- and brown trout also have a rich flavour.
Is trout healthy?
You can safely eat trout, because this fish is super healthy. Trout is bursting with omega-3 fatty acids. In addition, this fish is protein-rich.
It’s also a good source of potassium. Potassium is a mineral that contributes to fluid balance and blood pressure in the body. This mineral also contributes to the conduction of nerve impulses that regulate muscle contraction.
Due to the healthy diet of this fish, you can choose wild trout instead. However, it’s not a problem if you opt for the organically grown variant. A pink color is added to the farmed trout for commercial reasons. However, this addition is not harmful to health.
Food & wine
To complete your trout dish, grab a nice wine. That is why it’s useful if you know which wine goes well with trout.
This fish is often slightly salty, tastes fishy and is not too thick. As a result, it goes well with a Pinot Blanc from Alsace. However, you can also enjoy it with a Chablis or Riesling.
An aromatic white wine therefore goes well with trout. However, if you eat smoked trout, you choose a solid white wine, such as a Verdejo or Pinot Gris. If you eat smoked trout, a less dry wine goes well with it.
How to cook trout?
Trout can be cooked in many ways. However, before cooking trout, allow this fish to come to room temperature. If you take it out of the freezer, let it thaw in the fridge the night before.
Defrosting the fish in the refrigerator will keep it fresh. The fish remains at a cold temperature. When the fish has thawed slowly and carefully, you can clean the trout.
You do this by first removing the scales from the fish. To do this, scrape with a knife from the tail to the head, so against the direction of the scales.
After removing the scales from both sides, remove the organs from the fish. Use a sharp knife to cut the back of the trout at the anus. Cut the fish open to just below the gills. Try not to destroy the organs of the fish while cutting. This is because the smell of broken organs is very unpleasant.
Now you take out the organs, including the gills. You do this by grabbing the bottom of the fish’s mouth and then removing all the organs at once. The larynx may still be a little stuck. But you can easily loosen it with your knife. When everything is removed, rinse the fish well with water. Don’t let the water hit the fish too hard, though, or you’ll damage the flesh.
Frying it in a pan
After cleaning the fish, you can fillet the trout if desired and then fry it. Use a razor-sharp knife to fillet.
After filleting the trout, prepare a pan, as this fish is usually pan-fried.
- Heat some olive oil or melt butter in a frying pan.
- Let the pan heat up on a medium heat.
- Now put the seasoned trout in the pan.
- You fry the trout for five minutes on both sides.
Grilling on the barbecue
Another popular way to cook trout is to grill it on the barbecue. You can also experiment with different ingredients in this cooking method.
You can grill it as a whole fish, but also as a fillet. You can cook whole trout on the barbecue with a fish clip. This will keep the filling in the fish well. Plus you can easily flip the trout on the grill.
- Prepare the barbecue an hour in advance.
- Season the trout and fill its belly with ingredients if necessary.
- Coat the fish with oil and place it directly on the grid or you use a fish clamp.
- After about six minutes you can check if the skin is already golden brown. Then turn the fish over to cook the other side.
- If the other side is also golden brown, you can check with a thermometer whether the core temperature is 60 °C.
- Finally, you squeeze half a lemon over the trout and serve the fish.
In the oven
You can cook trout in the oven in many different ways. The difference is usually in the ingredients with which you season the fish.
How to cook trout in the oven:
- First you preheat the oven.
- After this, place the seasoned fish in a large baking dish with olive oil.
- You may fill the belly of the fish with herbs.
- Cover the fish with aluminum foil.
- Then you put the dish in the oven. In general, trout in the oven is done within 20 to 25 minutes.
Recipe: Steamed trout in a coconut curry marinade
Steamed trout in a coconut curry marinade
- 1 trout
- 1 lime
- black pepper
Coconut curry marinade
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass finely chopped
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- olive oil
- Rinse the trout with cold water and pat it dry with kitchen paper. Season the inside of the abdominal cavity with some salt and pepper.
- Cut the lime into thin slices and place them in the abdominal cavity.
Preparing the coconut curry marinade
- Press the garlic and finely chop the shallot and lemon juice.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Sauté the garlic and shallot for 1 minute on a low heat. Then add the lemon gas and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to a boil. Then add the fish sauce.
- Place the trout on aluminium foil and fold the edges up a bit so that the sauce leak. Add the marinade into the cavity of the abdomen and then cover the fish with it.
Steam the trout
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect grilling. Maintain a temperature of 160 °C.
- Place the trout with aluminium foil on the grid and let it slowly cook for 30 minutes with the lid closed.
Looking for more inspiration? Then see below more recipes with trout. Or check our fish recipes for even more inspiration.