Salsa verde is a green sauce made from fresh herbs. It is a versatile sauce that actually goes well with everything, both with fish and meat, but it also goes very well with vegetables.
A delicious and immensely versatile sauce that is very easy to make at home!
What is salsa verde?
Salsa verde literally means “green sauce”. The basic ingredients of the sauce are green fresh herbs that are flavoured with olive oil. Additional ingredients are added to provide a fresh and spicy taste.
Although there are different versions, there are roughly two: the Italian salsa verde and the Mexican salsa verde. For the Mexican variation, tomatillos form the basis of the sauce.
Finely chopped herbs form the basis of the Italian variation. That is also the version for this recipe. Parsley is the main ingredient. We also add mint.
It gets its spicy taste from several ingredients that have a concentrated taste and contain enough salt: anchovies, capers and mustard. Optionally, chilli flakes can be added for an extra spicy touch.
How do you make salsa verde?
Preparing your own salsa verde is very easy. You mix all the ingredients in a food processor. Make sure it doesn’t get too slippery. It is allowed to be a bit coarse.
The sauce can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 2 days. Let it reach room temperature again before serving.
What does salsa verde go with?
Salsa verde goes well with everything. But it combines especially well in dishes with a grill flavour, for example grilled swordfish steaks from the barbecue or rack of lamb. In addition, it also goes well with grilled meat, seafood and vegetables.
It is great as well to use it as a dressing for chicken and fish or with cold dishes, such as ham. In this case it looks a bit like a tapenade or pesto. In short: you can go either way with it.
How to make salsa verde
- 2 lemon zest and juice
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 10 sprigs parsley finely chopped
- 5 sprigs mint finely chopped
- 2 tbsp capers finely chopped
- 2 anchovy fillets finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 180 ml olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper freshly grounded
- 1 tsp chilli flakes optional
- Place all ingredients in a food processor. Grind it all, but not too fine. It should be a bit coarse. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and serve.
- You can store the salsa verde in a sealed jar in the refrigerator for 2 days. Then let it reach room temperature before serving.